Friday 3 May 2013

// // Leave a Comment

Why I prefer Photomatrix HDR

One of the project I was commissioned require HDR merging. Hence, after some trials, I decided which to get.

There are quite a lot of HDR programs if you really do some searching via internet.

One of the most popular will be photomatrix.

Nik software , is one of the coolest program I had tried recently.

I used these software and did some comparison. To my shocking, as shown below, there is a bad burnt out from Nik HDR Efx, but the brightness and tone seem very nice to me.

HDR Comparison

Considering the post processing part, I will face a lot of difficulties if I were to DI that burnt area. I work as a full time photographer, I simply do not like to spend too much time doing just one area (this is just one minor area that I am showing you)

Hence, I decided to go for Photomatrix instead. The color temperature and tone can be adjusted using Adobe Photoshop.

My HDR does not end at 3 exposure. Instead, I use 10 ev in order to get the details out from the image.

Currently, my project is related with 360 view panoramic, aka virtual tour. So, there are quite a number of stitching I need to do, but before even starting on that, I need to merge the 10 ev exposure first.

For my panoramic setting, which I will do a full details later, I have a total of 14 points of 10 ev each to merge first. Yes, 140 images for just one location.

In comparison of the speed for these two software, Photomatrix win by thousand times.

All I need to do is just the initial set up -

Import 10 images in, do the setting that I want to achieve, then save the preset.

Next, I will go for batch processing of processing photos under Batch Bracketed Photos

Remember I told you that I have a total of 10 ev for each view? Yes, just tell Photomatrix the exact location, select 10 images at a time

Remember to select the preset you had saved at the start.

As shown below, follow the numbering and you will be ok.


Once the images start to run, you can simply go have a short nap, read your novel with a cup of nice coffee, or even go out! It will take ages to get it done automatically for you.

Bear in mind, I have thousands images to merge! That's why it take hours.
But, it is a lot faster than using Nik.

I open Nik software via Adobe Bridge to Photoshop. I have to import 10 images at one time, get the preset done, then I save it. During the processing duration, I can wait till I literally fall asleep. I do not know whether if there's batch processing for Nik, but I gave up trying.

Now, this is not efficient for me.

That's why I find batch processing is very important to most projects! Especially when you have a lot to do and time is very crucial.


I am glad that Photomatrix work perfectly fine for me.


Discount coupon to search for 


Oh yes, before I forget. Remember to check out for discount coupon when you want to purchase photo matrix.  A little bit of research does helps.

Photomatrix purchase site

Here's some of it I found online for you, remember to check whether it is valid before purchasing it!

Please read the link given in this blog. I do not hold any responsibilities if you purchase wrongly.


Stuck in Customs - Code: STUCKINCUSTOMS
Visual Photo Guide - Code: HOTSHOTPHOTO 
Captain Kimo - Code: CAPTAIN KIMO
HDRIT - Code: HDRIT

Have fun with the program and shoot more! =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment