Saturday 2 February 2013

// // Leave a Comment

Audio set for field recording


2012-08-13 11.14.15

Knowing audio is easy, but to understand them technically is not going to be an easy task.

Being an audio producer for 7 years for inflight entertainment, I have to deal with songs been embedded with copyrights protection, recording and editing of audio.

There are a lot of audio programs in the market you can choose from. The most commonly heard will be Avid Protools.



To cut short, this is my take.

Protools - great for audio editing and post production work.
Cubase - great for midi, music composing.
Logic Pro - great for midi, music composing.
Samplitude - great for audio editing and burn on fly.

For your information, I am a big fan of Cubase and Protools.

Here's my past work to make your ear feel bad.




I had always wanted to deal with audio, even when I became a full time photographer. So, I decided to get my knowledge and think of a way.

Finally, I decided.

I shall record the dialogue between the Justice of Peace and the wedding couples during their vow!

To prepare for that, I bought Tascam DR40 handheld recorder. In fact, I got it at a real deal because of staff discount. I was in the company who are the main distributor of Tascam products.

I like the product to be light and easy to handle; another handheld product you can look at is Zoom H4N.

Let's not forget the shot gun mic; this is for JP only, because there's only one person.




For the couples, I use a condenser Audio Technica 2035 mic. This is a good mic because it is able to pick up their talking despite moving around. I did not set the low cut because everything will be too soft, especially when outdoor is very crucial.

To prevent any loss of audio, or anything that hit on the mic, I still have my Tascam built-in mic. The mic had been set to Stereo instead of X-Y axis. So both L and R mic are able to pick up from the parties.

Of course, having said that, there are a lot of work to be done during editing stage - not going to be easy for sure.

That is how my set up work for ROM.



- Boon

0 comments:

Post a Comment